Adventure for Women
This outdoor adventure is specifically designed for hard working women. For women who put so much energy into their families, homes and jobs, GAP Mum is a chance to take some time out. The GAP Mum journey offers a huge adventure in the New Zealand outdoors, a chance to meet other women and experience something new.
GAP Mum 2011 Gallery
Keen to keep in touch?
If you like the sound of our Adventures for Women and would like to keep in touch, click here!
What is the GAP Mum Adventure?
We have often been asked by mothers of our GAP Year students - “When are you doing a trip for GAP Mum’s? We’d like some time out and an adventure too…”
So we designed a ten day outdoor adventure for women, a mixture of challenging pursuits and socialising.
Our inaugral GAP Mum adventure ran in November 2011 and was a huge success. Click here to read about our adventure.
....thank you for the most glorious and wonderful adventure. It was soooo much fun. I think life took on wings when I got home.....
Who is this adventure for?
This is for all women - you do not need to be a parent of our GAP Year students or even a parent at all. Age is no barrier, our 2011 GAP Mums were aged between mid 40's to early 70's.
Why take a GAP Mum experience?
- Take some time out and have an experience for yourself – ‘cause life’s busy and you’re worth it.
- To have a challenging but supported adventure in the wilderness.
- Time for socialising and relaxing – bring a friend and make some new ones.
- This is a different experience, something you wouldn’t normally do on your own.
- Learn about our natural environment, yourself - and your capabilities.
When and how long?
GAP Mum is a ten day adventure:
- Start: Saturday at the Lewis Pass (Pick ups available en route from Christchurch).
- Finish: Sunday at the Clarence River Mouth, north of Kaikoura.
Where will we go and what will we do?
This journey starts on the Main Divide at Lewis Pass, tramping through the new St James conservation area then rafting the Clarence River to finish at the Pacific Ocean. Click here for a map.
The journey passes through a mixture of New Zealand’s wild landscapes. Beech forest and alpine herbfields near the divide give way to arid craggy peaks of the Kaikoura ranges.
- Day one: Group introductions. Challenge Course. Prepare for tramp.
- Day two-five: Starting on the Main Divide we tramp through the St James Conservation Area to the Clarence River.
- Day six-ten: Raft 215 kms down the Clarence River (one of NZ longest un-dammed rivers) to the Pacific Ocean.
- Day ten afternoon: Celebrate our journey, tell stories, eat crayfish and drink bubbles!
For an Itinerary and Information Pack Click here.