Who is this Gap Adventure Course best for?
Horizons Unlimited's GAP Year is an outdoor adventure course with a broad appeal. This is the course for you if you:
• Are leaving school and are unsure about what you want to do.
• Are having a gap year in New Zealand and want a fun filled outdoor adventure course with a real purpose.
• Know what you want to do, but want to take a break before heading onto further study or your career.
• Want to create a change of direction in your life and develop yourself and your skills.
Sign up for updates!
We'd love to keep in touch, and send regular newsletters with all the latest happenings, upcoming events, and updates from past students so sign up here to be kept in the loop.
Adventure Training Course - the first step
An intensive, 12-week Adventure Leadership training programme that focuses on practically based outdoor education learning. As part of a small, dynamic team, students will be immersed in the challenging world of adventure education and develop a broad range of outdoor and leadership skills, that include:
Technical and Instructional Skills
The Adventure Leadership Programmes focus on:
• Rock Climbing
• Kayaking Skills - including a sea kayak journey
• Sea Kayaking
• Backcountry Tramping and Outdoor Living Skills
• Challenge Ropes Courses
Leadership and Teaching Skills
With specific training in:
• Risk Management Training
• Teaching Tools and Group Management
• Extensive Work Experience leading adventure activities
• Outdoor First Aid
During their course students spend time preparing lessons and teaching "real live" students from local schools in Adventure Based Learning and Ropes Course activities. It is often this experience that makes the difference.
A further focus on Interpersonal Skill development is integrated throughout the programme, including:
• Organisational Skills
• Effective Communication
• How to Build Rapport
• Presentation and Facilitation Skills
• Personality Types
• Team Roles and Development
• Self-Confidence and Self-Reliance
• Taking Ownership & Responsibility
|"Heaps of great memories, a fantastic introduction to Christchurch and a great launching pad for my year in New Zealand, an introduction to lots of amazing people and the base for lifelong friendships, and skills in so many different outdoor activities.......Mark Maguire, Ireland 2010"